Kohler Co. Receives Green Builder Magazine’s Readers’ Choice Award
Kohler Co. Receives Green Builder Magazine's Readers' Choice Award for "Greenest Plumbing Fixture Products"
KOHLER, Wis. – April 16, 2013 – Sustainability has long been a cornerstone of the values of Kohler Co., as evident in a quote from Walter J. Kohler, who served as the company's president from 1905 to 1937: "So-called 'free goods,' such as sunshine and fresh air, may be of more real worth than most economic goods."
That same spirit and commitment is still embraced and practiced today, earning Kohler Co. numerous awards and accolades. Most recently, the readers of Green Builder magazine voted Kohler the "Greenest Plumbing Fixture Products" for the publication's annual Readers Choice Awards, which recognizes "pioneering companies leading the industry in sustainable thinking". It was the second consecutive year that green professionals chose Kohler for this distinction.
Green Builder magazine features its Readers Choice Award winners in the March 2013 issue and wrote, "Kohler never lets up on their water conservation messaging. It's part of their culture and their mission, and professionals can't help but respect that commitment."
"Receiving this recognition again from a group of environmental professionals who are both passionate and immersed in sustainability is such an honor," says Rob Zimmerman, manager of engineering, water conservation, and sustainability for Kohler Co. "It's both validating and encouraging to know our energy and work are impactful."
Additional Sustainability Initiatives and Recognition
· 2012 EPA WaterSense Manufacturer Partner of the Year: A three-time winner of this award from the Environmental Protection Agency's WaterSense program, Kohler Co. was the first manufacturer to receive the Partner of the Year Award in 2008. Kohler received the award again in 2009 and 2012, and was lauded with Excellence awards in 2010 and 2011.
· U.S. Green Building Council Certifies Kohler Co. Building LEED Gold: The Kohler Corporate Communications building, which opened in June 2012 in Kohler, Wis., received gold-level LEED certification from the U.S. Green Building Council. The one-story, 79,000-square-foot building houses 180 associates and harmoniously coexists with surrounding groundwater flows and natural wetlands, all while taking full advantage of natural light.
· Kohler Environmental Center Opens as First Residential Environmental Center in US Secondary Education: At Choate Rosemary Hall, a college preparatory school in Wallingford, Conn., the 14 students and faculty living and studying at the Kohler Environmental Center (KEC) face a challenge unlike anything they've faced academically: the challenge to live "net zero." In November 2012, KEC, the first teaching, research and residential environmental center in U.S. secondary education, was certified LEED Platinum by the United States Green Building Council (USGBC).
Recommended and Related Materials:
· Fact Sheet: Kohler Corporate Communications Facility
· Fact Sheet: Kohler Environmental Center
· Press Release: Kohler Co. Wins Third EPA WaterSense Manufacturer Partner of the Year Award
About Kohler Co.
As a global leader in kitchen and bath design, technology and water efficiency, Kohler Co. offers plumbing products under its KOHLER and STERLING brands that are designed to conserve natural resources while remaining true to a singular level of quality of performance and design. Whether specifying plumbing products that help buildings earn LEED® water-efficiency points, reducing facility operating costs or accommodating the preferences of homeowners, environmentally friendly KOHLER fixtures and faucets address the challenging demands of customers and preserve one of our most precious natural resources.
Founded in 1873 and headquartered in Kohler, Wis., Kohler Co. is one of America's oldest and largest privately held companies. Kohler is a global leader in the manufacture of kitchen and bath products, engines and power generation systems, tile and home interiors, and an international host to award-winning hospitality and world-class golf destinations.